Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Information on Latinx Heritage Month - Sept. 15 - Oct. 15


 Latinx Heritage Month is observed from September 15 to October 15.

I am almost 31 years old and just learned that Latinx Heritage Month is observed from September 15 to October 15. According to the National Hispanic Heritage Month site, “Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America. The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988, on the approval of Public Law 100-402.” I never knew about Hispanic Heritage Month, though I was educated in this nation’s public school system and was an educator. I am not blaming anyone because I could have done research on my own. However, I believe this is yet another example of the leaders in this country engaging in the optics of pursuing equality without dismantling white supremacy. I have been guilty of this, and I still can be if I am not intentional about staying in community that will hold me accountable as I am on this journey.

I read more about Latinx Heritage Month on the Human Rights Campaign site. “This celebration has become a vital opportunity to dispel ignorance, prejudice and fear through education about multiculturalism and the history of the countless contributions of Latinx communities. HRC has adopted the term ‘Latinx’ rather than Hispanic or Latino to represent the identities of non-binary, gender non-conforming and gender-expansive people. ‘Latinx’ also centers the lives of indigenous, Brazilian and other non-Spanish speaking people in this celebration.”

I am committed to learning, financially supporting activists, advocates, authors, and educators who challenge and broaden the narrative, and dismantling systems of oppression under their leadership.

#September #September15toOctober15 #LatinxHeritageMonth #equality #intersectionality #intersectionalitymatters #intersectionalityisessential #whitefeminismisnotfeminism #seekjustice #socialjustice #justice #enddiscrimination #dismantleALLsystemsofoppression #peace #nojusticenopeace #knowjusticeknowpeace #research #support #love #loveyourneighbor #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pappas" Episode of BtN

A *bonus episode* of the Broadening the Narrative podcast is out now. You can listen to the episode "Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pa...