Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Instagram Posts from the Week of Oct. 6, 2019

Bonus Post - October 7, 2019 - Sincerely, Lettie Podcast Links

Y'all, @sincerely.lettie released a bonus podcast episode today, so I am doing a bonus post. I wanted to share the Sincerely, Lettie episode from today. It is titled  "Bonus Episode: One of My Rants." Four different platforms you can access to listen are linked below.

Apple Podcasts


If you want to talk about the truth Lettie speaks in this episode, feel free to send me a DM or we can meet up if I know you IRL.


Thank you, Lettie, for speaking up and speaking out about injustice and providing action steps your listeners and followers can take. I appreciate you and your voice.


#sincerelylettie #sincerelylettiepodcast #podcast #justice #injustice #bothamjean #amberguyger #racist #racism #racialreconciliation #domore #showup #showupagainstracism #antiracism #antiracist #becomingantiracist #seekjustice #socialjustice #restorativejustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative



Podcast Rec. - Oct. 8, 2019


Current Listen - Sincerely, Lettie: Episode 9: White Fragility...and You (Released Sept. 11, 2019)

“White progressives can be the most challenging because they tend to be so certain that they’re not the problem.”-Lettie Shumate

“Racism is a system that is infused across all institutions, politics, practices, traditions.”-Lettie Shumate

“There’s this other component that comes with this where white people want black people to reassure them, tell them that they’re not bad people, tell them ‘Oh but I still love you,’ and basically take our feelings and put them to the side and make them feel comfortable. No, no, that’s gonna have to stop because that is where the problem continues to lie because then we’re still not allowing white people, or showing white people, that their emotional stamina needs to basically level up. Because then essentially what happens is that the burden is placed on us.”-Lettie Shumate

“We’re not focusing on the negative. You see it as negative because you’re a white person. Just because we say something that you don’t like or that makes you uncomfortable doesn’t mean that it’s negative. It’s truthful. It’s fact. Look, facts are not the best. Truth hurts.”-Lettie Shumate

In this episode of Sincerely, Lettie, Lettie explains what white fragility is and addresses the issues associated with “centering white feelings in conversations about racism and injustice.” She shares personal experiences with being on the receiving end of white fragility and graciously offers questions white people can ask themselves. I was reminded of the call as a Christian to count others more significant (Phil.2:3) and to give greater honor to those that are not honored (1 Cor. 12:24). I am grateful for Lettie’s voice and for this podcast episode that is beneficial for me in checking my white fragility. Thank you, Lettie.

Subscribe to the Sincerely, Lettie podcast, write a review, and follow @sincerely.lettie.



#lettieshumate #sincerelylettie #podcast #historypodcast #podcastrecommendation #podcastrec #podcastepisode #whitefragility #decenterwhiteness #antiracism #antiracist #racism #systemicracism #dismantlewhitesupremacy #endwhitesupremacy #endhate #enddiscrimination #socialjustice #seekjustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #loveyourneighbor #repent #repair #empathy #equality #history #truthhurts #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative



Account to Follow - Oct. 9, 2019


As you can see on the Almost Heretical IG, Nate Hanson and Tim Ritter host a podcast by the same name. They are former pastors “rethinking American evangelical theology” and “trying to make Christianity possible again.”

The first episode I heard featured Lisa Sharon Harper and was called “Good New & Bad News.” I was devastated after Brett Kavanaugh was appointed to the Supreme Court, and the good news Lisa Sharon Harper shared was a balm for my wounded soul. A couple of weeks later, a friend texted a link for the Gender Series to me. As I listened to the series, I cried because of the beauty of what they taught, threw my phone because of the anger I felt never hearing a sermon that incorporated this theology that actively values women, was full of an indescribable level of joy as I felt God restoring my dignity, and immediately texted the link to some friends. They’ve spoken with other guests such as Mako Nagasawa about Penal Substitutionary Atonement, Rachel Held Evans on using and abusing the Bible, Brian Zahnd about making Christianity possible again, Mark Charles on the truth of our history in the United States, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove about slaveholder religion, Science Mike about anger and hope, Tim Mackie on the Bible, Brandi Miller about pursuing racial justice within evangelicalism in the episode “Farewell White Theology,” Wade Mullen on church abuse and cover-up, Rob Bell in the episode “Outside the Camp,” and Chistena Cleveland on getting free from toxic Christianity. In addition, they have done several series which have addressed power, atonement, how the Bible works, hell and heaven, and LGBTQ and the Bible. Nate and Tim made Christianity possible again for me personally, so I wanted to highlight their work today.

Follow @almostheretical if you aren’t already and support the work they are doing if this interests you.



#almostheretical #accounttofollow #makingchristianitypossibleagain #spiritualmisfit #deconstruction #reconstruction #exvangelical #faithtransition #evolvingfaith #race #gender #theology #atonement #thebible #power #hellandheaven #lgbtqandthebible #seekjustice #restorativejustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #lovegod #loveneighbor #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative




Additional Rec. - Oct. 10, 2019



The question addressed in this article by Kaitlin Curtice is one I have been asking with slight variations recently as I am trying to untangle what it means to follow Christ from some of the damaging ideology I was taught. I deeply appreciated her insights and selected a few paragraphs to share.    

“When I was seven years old, I prayed the ‘sinner’s prayer,’ asking Jesus to ‘come into my heart’ to save me from sin and death...From that point on, my spiritual life was shaped by this duality: saved or not saved, bound for heaven or bound for hell. It affected every relationship I had, because it affected me at the core of who I am.”

“It is enduringly hard work, but if we are to dismantle some of the dangers associated with the colonizing evangelical Christianity we’ve inherited, we’ve got to look our trauma in the eye and hold the institutions accountable that caused that trauma.”

“If anything, the church has lost its ability to find its place in the midst of sacred creation. The church has been power hungry for too long, and has forgotten its need to stay humble and gentle, to learn from the world and the creatures in it, and to learn from the least of these when it has lost its way. We lost our way when prayer became a weapon that we wielded toward others we thought needed saving.”

“Do we need to be saved from anything? Probably. We see the way that systems of hate and white supremacy have permeated the earth and destroyed people. We’ve seen how dangerous the ideas of in vs out, black vs white, us vs them can be. Maybe we need to save ourselves and each other from that wreckage. But we have to ask ourselves better questions and hold space for better answers.”

I posted about Kaitlin Curtice on Sept. 25th. If you don’t follow her on social media, please do. If you don’t yet support her work, please do. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am for the prophetic voice of Kaitlin Curtice.



#additionalrecommendation #recommendation #kaitlincurtice #savedortraumatizedbyamericanchristianity #supportindigenouswomen #decolonize #decolonization #deconstruction #reconstruction #evolvingfaith #faithtransition #socialjustice #seekjustice #restorativejustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #loveyourneighbor #creationcare #learning #repent #repair #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative



Book Rec. - Oct. 12, 2019



“I do not remember the color of the envelope or the length of the letter. But I remember jumping up and down and hugging my mother. I remember her smiling at me in actual pride, and this was new. She was often proud of me and demonstrated as much, but it was over potential and possibility, something I had said which made her expect that at some unknowable future date, I would amount to something more than what I seemed to be. Now she smiled at the tangible, at the real, not at what I dreamed I’d be but at that moment what I was” (Coates, 2008, p.124).

“That year, I tried to turn it around. But everything caught up with me. All my past failures from years before heaped onto my two assaults on teachers, to my fight in the cafeteria, and to my failing of English, and I was banished for good. My parents could not intercede here. My father was sitting in the living room on our gray sectional couch, and this is how I knew it was over. He wasn’t even angry. He just sat there blank and went into a speech from which I only remember one line - Ta-Nehisi, you are a disgrace to this family’s name. That hurt…No matter what the professional talkers tell you, I never met a black boy who wanted to fail” (Coates, 2008, p.180).

Reading The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood allowed me to learn about the childhood and adolescent life of Ta-Nehisi Coates. I appreciated his perspective and the anecdotes he shared as they gave glimpses into the experiences that shaped him into the man he became. My admiration and respect for Ta-Nehisi only grew as he unflinchingly wrote about the beautiful struggle.





#pastread #thebeautifulstruggle #bookrecommendation #bookrec #tanehisicoates #familyhistory #memoir #narrative #roadtomanhood #manhood #reading #learning #empathy #equality #broadeningthenarrative

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pappas" Episode of BtN

A *bonus episode* of the Broadening the Narrative podcast is out now. You can listen to the episode "Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pa...