Sunday, October 6, 2019

A Bill about Sagging Pants, Admitting Mistakes, Asking for Forgiveness, and Becoming Antiracist


Estimated Reading Time: 14 minutes

Last February, news reports in South Carolina contained information about House Bill 4957, which would make fining and forced community service acceptable for men wearing sagging pants in public. I immediately emailed the members of the judiciary committee after learning about the bill. I think of my response often to these men and women as well as toward other people. I know I did not communicate kindly and graciously, but I justified my anger because I thought emanating anger was the appropriate reaction. However, after listening to a video by L. Glenise Pike, titled The Importance of Normalizing Conversations about Race + White Supremacy, I see that I conveyed my message with what she calls “stolen anger.” I was, as L. Glenise Pike explicated, a bully on behalf of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. She called me out on it, said that it wasn’t ok, and explained that conversations about race cannot be normalized when white people come in with stolen anger, especially since Black, Indigenous, and People of Color will be on the receiving end of the backlash that will inevitably follow.

I have included my original email to the members of the judiciary committee below, as embarrassing as it is to read now. In addition, I will append changes I would make now, while requesting accountability because I don’t want to miss the opportunity to mature in conversations about race. I will also ask for forgiveness from those I hurt, though I cannot and do not expect pardon. At the conclusion of this post, I will expound on my commitment to becoming antiracist, not as a one-time pledge but as a lifestyle dedicating to dismantling the idea of white supremacy everywhere I encounter it, beginning with myself.


A Bill about Sagging Pants

February 23, 2018
My name is Nicki Pappas. I am a white female, and I reside in [city redacted]. I became aware of House Bill 4957 Wednesday, and I was compelled to contact the members of the judiciary committee regarding this bill.
I read about how House Bill 4957 was introduced on the 15th of February. This proposed bill would make fining and forced community service acceptable for a man who is seen with his pants sagging in public more than three inches below the crest of his ileum exposing skin or undergarments.
This bill is absurd. I honestly cannot believe that exponential amounts of time have been dedicated toward this bill that is now being considered by the judiciary committee. We have much larger problems in our state than the garments people wear and how they choose to wear them. I would prefer not to see someone else’s undergarments, but I can also choose to look away. You may prefer to not see undergarments, and you can choose to turn your head. It’s amazing how our necks allow for such mobility.
There are several problems I have with this bill. First, the ilium is the broad, upper portion of either hipbone. The ileum spelled with an “e”, as it is written in the bill, is part of the small intestine. How is an officer going to identify where a person’s pants are relative to his ileum? Further, I see no reason for the government, particularly law enforcement wielding weapons, to intervene regarding fashion. Listen to how ridiculous this is. Again, we have much larger problems in our state than style of dress.
Second, communities and people of color will be most affected by this bill if it becomes law. Like it or not, this is a racist policy. I understand that Representative Joseph Jefferson is African American, and he sponsored this bill, but the voice of an African American who agrees with the majority culture should not be elevated to speak for the community as a whole. African Americans are not monolithic. I’m sure that you were probably taught to be color-blind, like I was, so you know that the first image to come to your mind when you hear “sagging pants” shouldn’t be a black male. If you’re honest, though, you will acknowledge that a black man is the person associated with the style of dress being targeted in this bill. Rep. Jefferson commented that the bill is not designed to target minorities and that he has seen men of all races wearing pants that sag. Sure. But, again, if we are honest, we know that black men are more likely to dress in this way; therefore, they will be most affected by this bill if it becomes law. With tension between law enforcement and communities of color already heightened, this bill is simply not good for fostering positive relations. Further, I am worried for the safety of my brothers of color. Men who choose to dress with their pants sagging are unfairly associated with negative labels. Men who work hard, don’t have a criminal record, and who love their families well could still choose to wear their pants in this way and would suffer. Communities, children, and men of color will be targeted, whether you want to admit it or not.  
Speaking with an African American female friend, she worries for the men in her family if this bill becomes law. We have to remember that real people will be affected should this bill become a law. A father, a brother, a nephew, or a son will be unfairly targeted under the law. White people are less likely to feel the weight of this becoming a law because it doesn’t affect our fathers, brothers, nephews, or sons in the same way. My friend and I also fear that the government is extending its influence too far. If this becomes law, what else could pass after this precedent is set? Government overreach is dangerous. I’m sure you don’t want laws passed that would negatively impact you or people who look like you. Further, whether you agree with the assumptions or not, dehumanizing assumptions are connected to men who choose to wear their pants in a sagging way. You don’t want laws passed that devalue humanity. People of color do not want this either.
Now, consider the communities that will be most affected by this bill if it became law. There is a proven wealth disparity between white families and families of color, yet this bill would affect people of color more than white people. This seems like just a way to generate revenue from those who are disadvantaged financially and to force people to labor for free. I read about how the man who wears his pants three inches below the crest of his ileum exposing skin or undergarments in public would be subject to a $25 fine for a first offense, a $50 fine or up to 3 hours of community service or both for a second offense, and a $75 fine or up to 6 hours of community service or both for a third or subsequent offense. What happens when there is not reliable transportation to court? What happens when the fine cannot be paid? I understand that the violation would not be a criminal or delinquent offense, and it would be handled by municipal or magistrate court, but there are many people who simply could not pay even a $25 fine. They need every dollar they have for food and other necessities.
Also, what is the age minimum? What happens when a 16 year old child of color who is skeptical of law enforcement, for good reasons, decides to run away when approached by an officer who thinks the child is 18 and wants to fine the child for wearing his pants in a way that has been deemed by the majority culture as inappropriate? Will this child meet a premature death and suffer the fate of many young black teenagers who have gone before him? This is yet another reason why this type of bill, as it will inevitably target minorities, is a terrible idea.
I would like to address the argument proposed by Rep. Wendell Gilliard regarding gender equality. He stated that the issue is one of equality because a female would be cited for indecent exposure if she wore sagging pants. I’m sorry, but women dress in ways that people don’t prefer all the time and show areas of their bodies that are controversial in some groups, yet women are not fined for immodesty in many cases. I’m certainly not arguing women should be policed for how they choose to dress either. Again, I may prefer for a woman to dress differently, but if I don’t like it, I can turn my head.
You have an obligation to serve and look out for the interests of your constituents. You are commissioned to do what is best for our state. This bill is not in the best interest of our state. Legislation is not a place for preferences. Obviously not every black man dresses this way, but 27.9% of the population in South Carolina is African American, so 27.9% of the population will be adversely affected in some way by this bill if it becomes law. Family members and friends of people of color could easily find themselves being targeted. This bill also sends a message that the people who choose to dress this way are not valuable, should be oppressed if they don’t assimilate, and have nothing to offer. Communities of color as a whole will be negatively affected because of the message sent by this bill.
To close, I would like to argue against respectability politics as this is the issue at play with this bill. Respectability politics refers to efforts of members of marginalized groups to encourage others who are part of their group to adopt the values that have been set by the mainstream culture. Rep. Jefferson stated that it's unbecoming and unprofessional to wear pants that sag. He said that this bill is to warn those who choose to dress in this manner that they should be more responsible. He said that there ought to be a better way. Where did the standard of what is unbecoming, unprofessional, and irresponsible come from regarding how men dress? This is a manmade standard and should not be made law. Rep. Gilliard said that we have to lead by example, making it seem like a man cannot be a good leader if he chooses to wear his pants in a way that the majority culture has deemed inappropriate. And just because there are minority voices that have adopted the majority standard does not mean they speak for all people who are part of minority groups. Expecting people to dress and act as the mainstream has decided is acceptable in order to be treated with dignity, value, and respect is respectability politics. As a follower of Christ, I reject respectability politics. Though I may prefer a different way of dressing and teach my sons to dress differently, I will not support the fining and forced community service of young men who choose to wear their pants in a way that white people have determined is unacceptable. I am white, and I still will fight this bill and defend my brothers of color who will be disproportionately affected by this bill if it becomes law. 


Admitting Mistakes

As I re-read the email, the tone is one of ending a conversation, not initiating a back and forth set of conversations surrounding race and the idea of white supremacy. I also realized that it sounded like the intended recipients were white, which perpetuates the idea of white supremacy, as if those on the judiciary committee were all white. My delivery also lacked love as sarcasm and stolen anger permeated throughout. Instead of coming in hot, there are some things I would change if I could.

With much more tenderness from a much less snarky position, here’s a glimpse of what I would say now:

Knowing that the roles of police are supposed to be fighting crime, serving, and protecting, I still believe passing bills like this would not aid in accomplishing any of these goals. Sagging pants are not a crime and serving and protecting citizens can only be done when viewing them with dignity, not targeting them for their fashion choices. I still think that implementing laws like this hinders healthy interactions between law enforcement and communities of color as more opportunities for negative interactions arise. I still hold to the belief that in a nation that values liberty and justice for all, people in a truly free society should be able to voice opposition to the government and legislators without coming under attack and having their own character attacked and being labeled anti-America. We should be able to respectfully disagree with power being wielded in an unworthy manner without being maligned.

To Christians I know who would say that laws like this are not racist because race is not explicitly stated, I would gently offer that when laws are proposed that we think will mainly affect Christians, even when the term Christian does not appear, many Christians oppose them and call on others to join the opposition. Christians want to be believed when they think they are the intended audience meant to suffer under a law, they cry out against the persecution, and they take action. With bills that have the propensity for racist implementation, Black, Indigenous, and People of Color who will be directly impacted should be trusted when they speak up and take action against such proposed or passed laws.

I also maintain that bills like House Bill 4957 don’t require people in the majority population to confront or dismantle harmful assumptions and beliefs about people in minority populations. In last month’s post, I addressed some of the problems present in the notion that sagging pants make it easier for people to carry illegal weapons and drugs. It is dangerous and dehumanizing to think that all Black men and boys, or Indigenous men and boys, or men and boys of color who sag their pants are “thugs” packing heat. I personally know people with concealed carrying permits who carry a gun on them with pants that aren't sagging. I also attempted to elucidate the pattern of results of stop and frisk and other searches that reveal white people are more likely to have illegal guns and drugs. Searches reveal Black people are more likely to be stopped but less likely to possess illegal weapons or drugs, as you can see in the 2018 Vehicle Stops Executive Summary from Missouri.


Asking Forgiveness

I want to ask for forgiveness from Black, Indigenous, and People of Color for, as L. Glenise Pike said, being a bully on your behalf. Stealing your anger is not acceptable, and I am sorry. I want to do better.

I also want to ask for forgiveness from white people I have been harsh toward. My lashing out, walking away, and grudges don’t inspire anyone to enter or continue conversations about race and the idea of white supremacy. I don’t want to assume the worst of those who disagree with me. I want us to not put words into each other's mouths and really seek to understand various viewpoints, even if there is disagreement. I am sorry. I want to do better.

Becoming Antiracist

I am changing. As Austin Channing Brown said at an event I attended, antiracism work is transformative. You may not recognize me anymore, and I understand if that is unsettling. Becoming antiracist, rather than simply saying that I am not racist, has helped me care about injustice everywhere it is displayed. My heart for seeking justice for all who are marginalized is enhanced as I evolve.

I am only human, so I know I will make mistakes in the future, just as I have in the past. However, my humanity is not an excuse to hide behind to prevent repenting and repairing when I do wrong. I want people to hold me accountable to ensure I am not stealing the anger of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. The things I say may still cause discomfort, but I desire to exude kindness and mercy as I speak. Starting and continuing conversations about race and the idea of white supremacy is how I want to live my life.

To my sisters and brothers who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color, I am committed to the work of being antiracist and bringing other white people in to learn from you all and join you all in your fight for equality.

To my sisters and brothers who are white, I am committed to the work of being antiracist and bringing you in to learn from Black, Indigenous, and People of Color so we can join them in their fight for equality.

Grace and peace.


(Resources are linked below.)





Recommended Reading
Articles



Books

How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi







Videos to View
The Next Question Video Web Series (Hosted and produced by Austin Channing Brown, Jenny Booth Potter, and Chi Chi Okwu)



Podcasts (for your listening pleasure and discomfort)



Music (that may make you uncomfortable)
"A Time like This" by Micah Bournes
"Too Much" by Micah Bournes
“Ally Anthem” by Micah Bournes
 "All Hands on Deck" by Micah Bournes (feat. Izzi Ray, Jackie Miclau, Liz Vice, & Lucee)



#antiracism #antiracist #becomingantiracist #beingantiracist #treatpeoplewithdignity #loveyourneighbor #seekjustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #lament #repent #repair #facethepast #healthefuture #tellthetruth #equality #blog #blogger #newblogpost #broadeningthenarrative

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pappas" Episode of BtN

A *bonus episode* of the Broadening the Narrative podcast is out now. You can listen to the episode "Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pa...