Friday, October 25, 2019

Bonus Post about Beth Moore

Estimated Reading Time: 5 minutes

I have been debating all week whether or not to post my thoughts about John MacArthur’s “go home” statement about Beth Moore. But here I am deciding to weigh in through social media. I want to start by saying that I am tired. I'm tired of fighting to belong. I'm tired of fighting to be seen as fully human. And if I'm tired after such a short time, I can't imagine how tiring it is to fight multiple attacks on God-given dominion and dignity through sexism + racism, homophobia, classism, nationalism, ageism, ableism, religious bigotry, or any other combinations or forms of discrimination.


It is sad to hear how Beth Moore was degraded by John MacArthur and others, but it is not surprising. I was accused of trying to pigeon hole a spiritual leader by putting him in a box and labeling him a sexist as I offered my insights, gifts, time, and ideas to try to better help men and women partner together. Instead of a partnership, I was silenced when I tried to call this person to repentance for his harmful words. The gaslighting I experienced was completely unexpected, and I knew that this person intended for me to not bring this up again as he insisted he did not sin against me. I was powerless against his accusations that multiplied, and trust was broken as this person who held power over me escaped accountability. So when Beth Moore is disrespected, it's hard not to feel it personally because this really is about more than just Beth Moore.


I know that for people who side with John MacArthur the task of showing that he was in the wrong is probably an impossible feat as women who speak up are written off as "crazy feminists." Call me crazy, but I will attempt to respond to this latest display of misogyny in evangelicalism anyway.


First, the question I keep asking is, "Why was the name 'Beth Moore' used during a panel for this word association 'game'?" What were they hoping for John MacArthur and others to say? It would be one thing if the responses were in the vein of "beloved sister," but it's hard to believe that the "go home" wasn't expected. It was certainly a well received response. Let's begin with reframing the situation, as this may be the only way to help some people see the humanity of women, the image of God we bear, the dominion we are called to exercise. What if it was reversed? What if Beth Moore was on a similar panel and presented with "John MacArthur" and was instructed to speak the words that come to her mind when she hears his name. If she said, "Go home" and launched into a 10 minute tirade against John MacArthur, we would clearly have a problem with the lack of love, grace, and kindness. It would be apparent that this was harmful, intended to tear down rather than encourage and build up. The same is true when applied to John MacArthur's words aimed at Beth Moore.


I will be honest and say I once desired returning evil for evil in these situations, giving the oppressor or offender a dose of his own medicine through name calling, insulting his intelligence, etc. But Beth Moore shows us a better way, a Jesus way, and she's not the only woman of valor who has consistently chosen love over hate when mocked and ridiculed. Here is what Beth Moore tweeted Monday: "I did not surrender to a calling of man when I was 18 years old. I surrendered to a calling of God. It never occurs to me for a second to not fulfill it. I will follow Jesus - and Jesus alone - all the way home. And  I will see His beautiful face and proclaim, Worthy is the Lamb! Here’s the beautiful thing about it & I mean this with absolute respect. You don’t have to let me serve you. That gets to be your choice. Whether or not I serve Jesus is not up to you. Whether I serve you certainly is. One way or the other, I esteem you as my sibling in Christ."


I also read "Nope, Not Going Home" by Sarah Bessey Monday, and the part that got me was, "You know who never told women to go home? JESUS."


Jesus speaks a better word over women, always. Thank you for this reminder, Stephen. Jesus restores robbed dignity, always. Jesus equips the daughters of God for the work of ministry, always. The ten episode Gender Series done by Almost Heretical was immensely beneficial for me, and I cannot recommend it enough.


In closing, I want to reiterate that this is about more than one woman, and it's about more than white women, so the next time that a prominent evangelical leader, or an evangelical leader you personally know, disparages another image bearer, stand with those impacted. As Kathy Khang tweeted, "Dear white Christian women angry over #GoHome I’ll be watching to see if you stand with #WOC & name, work against #racism & #whitesupremacy in your families, neighborhoods, churches." We are all in this together, and we all suffer when we don't humble ourselves to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.



#bethmoore #sarahbessey #kathykhang #empowerwomen #dismantlepatriarchy #endpatriarchy #endmisogyny #endmisogynoir #enddiscrimination #feminism #feminist #antisexist #antisexism #inallitsforms #whitefeminismisnotfeminism #dignity #love #lovegod #loveneighbor #seekjustice #restorativejustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #almostheretical #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pappas" Episode of BtN

A *bonus episode* of the Broadening the Narrative podcast is out now. You can listen to the episode "Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pa...