Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Instagram Posts from the Week of Oct. 13, 2019

Podcast Rec. - Oct. 15, 2019



“There were those moments growing up where I did speak up, and it was a matter of survival, it was just because I had to.” - Kathy Khang

“Sometimes when we think about how we can use our voices to fight against injustice and things like this, I think that can, for some people, play into this American hero narrative. ‘I was the one who lifted my voice to speak for the people,’ you know, all of that ‘voice for the voiceless’ stuff that makes me mad because I’m like, ‘You know everybody’s got a voice. Every single person. Everybody in the world has a voice.’” - Amena Brown

“You cannot wait to build a platform to speak up.” - Kathy Khang

In this episode of Her with Amena Brown, Amena Brown spoke with Kathy Khang about using our voices, body language, and her book Raise Your Voice: Why We Stay Silent and How to Speak Up. This podcast episode was my “introduction” to Kathy Khang, and I was both encouraged and challenged by her wisdom and insights.


#amenabrown #kathykhang #herwithamenabrown #podcast #wocpodcast #podcastrecommendation #podcastrec #raiseyourvoice #bodylanguage #useyourvoice #everybodyhasavoice #speakup #silenceisnotspiritual #lament #repent #repair #empathy #equality #listening #learning #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative



Account to Follow - Oct. 16, 2019


“Inspiring individual action + personal accountability with self-guided educational resources for becoming antiracist.” You can read these words in the profile on the Where Change Started IG.

I heard about Where Change Started when I watched a video by L. Glenise Pike that was shared on IG. The video is titled “The Importance of Normalizing Conversations About Race + White Supremacy,” and it was the additional recommendation I posted about on October 3rd. In a short time following the Where Change Started IG, I have been better equipped in my journey toward becoming antiracist in my inner thoughts and outer actions. I highly recommend purchasing the Becoming Antiracist journal by L. Glenise Pike.




#wherechangestarted #accounttofollow #becomingantiracist #antiracism #antiracist #lglenisepike #normalizingconversationsaboutrace #empathy #equality #reflection #action #loveyourneighbor #checkbiases #checkassumptions #humanity #learning #socialjustice #seekjustice #restorativejustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #repent #repair #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative



Additional Rec. - Oct. 17, 2019

Additional Rec. - “The Biblical Confusion between the Words ‘Justice’ and ‘Righteousness’” by Daniel Hill

Unlocking the truth about the translation of the words "justice" and "righteousness" in what is known as the Bible was significant for me in my journey broadening the narrative for several reasons. I will quote a few excerpts below to highlight what impacted me.

"When I looked up the word translated to justice, I came to discover that the original Greek word used by Paul here was dikaiosynÄ“. For me, this was quite a surprise. I don’t always recognize Greek words at first glance, but this was an easy one. It’s an important Biblical word, and it is consistently used to describe both the identity of Jesus and the mission of what he came to do. It’s repeated over 300 times in the New Testament, yet I don’t recall ever seeing it translated as justice. In every instance I can remember it is translated as righteousness. It’s hard to dispute the assertion that when put next to each other in English, justice and righteousness elicit very different meanings...I am embarrassed to admit that I had no idea how much of a history this word has. It’s actually been quite controversial for centuries, particularly in its translation into English."

"The etymology of each of these has very different roots. Our English word righteousness, according to Wolterstorff, has German origins. It has connotations of being morally up-right, and focuses more on private, individual behavior...Our English word justice, on the other hand, has Latin origins. Unlike righteousness, which is focused more on individual behavior, justice is focused on communal behavior…and even structures."

"He acknowledges that there are times where it might make sense to use the word righteousness. But there are other times where only justice makes sense. One of the clearest of these, according to him, is the use of dikaiosune by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount. When talking through the Beatitudes, Jesus says: 'Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for [dikaiosune], for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of [dikaiosune], for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.' (Matthew 5.6-10) In almost every single English translation, dikaiosune is translated as righteous. But does that make much sense? Wolterstorff asks, 'How many people do you know that have been persecuted for morally upright living? I’ve never seen that. The people who are persecuted are the ones that seek justice.' So while context matters, Wolterstorff can’t help but speculate whether there is a 'spiritualized' bias of the translation of the word dikaiosune. Is it possible that somewhere along the way righteousness was seen as a more valuable spiritual attribute than justice? It would certainly seem so."

For decades, I confess I prioritized personal piety over seeking communal justice, and I was able to do this because I am privileged to not be directly affected by certain systems of injustice, particularly racism. My enlightenment on this issue is not enough, though, as reflection must lead to action under the leadership of black, Indigenous, and people of color who have been speaking out about this.



#additionalrecommendation #recommendation #danielhill #biblicalconfusionbetweenjusticeandrighteousness #justice #righteousness #translation #empathy #equality #reflection #action #loveyourneighbor #checkbiases #checkassumptions #humanity #learning #socialjustice #seekjustice #restorativejustice #lovemercy #walkhumbly #repent #repair #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative



Book Rec. - Oct. 19, 2019



“The longer I worked in the church, the more I came to see that it wasn’t a credible witness for racial reconciliation. This wasn’t true of only that local congregation either. As I spoke with my Black friends across the country, I came to understand just how divided the non-White culture and majority-culture churches are” (Morrison, 2019, p.5).

“If we come together in the posture of humility, we can start to bridge the racial divide” (Morrison, 2019, p.8).

“God is inviting all of us to be active participants in racial reconciliation, to show the world that racial unity is possible through Christ” (Morrison, 2019, p.9).

“If they judged me more assimilated, more controlled by the majority-culture narrative, I was more accepted. But if I pushed back with my own cultural stories, with more factual recitations of the truth, and if I wore my hair natural or enunciated words a certain way, I’d be judged according to their racial bias and prejudice. The more I embraced my ethnic identity, the greater the chance I’d be rejected by those White parents - seen as unsafe, angry, and likely to make trouble” (Morrison, 2019, p.17).

“Historical truths play an important role in our understanding of how we arrived in our current racial tension. Without looking back, without understanding the truth of our history, it’s difficult to move forward in healthy ways. And even though it might be painful to recount our history as a country, denying it leads us nowhere. Truth is the foundation of awareness, and awareness is the first step in the process of reconciliation. Jesus said as much: ‘You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free’” (Morrison, 2019, p.32).

“Ninety-two-point-five percent of churches in the United States are racially segregated. Still, there hasn’t been a major movement to desegregate church” (Morrison, 2019, p.77).

“Reconciliation requires truth telling and empathy and tears. It requires changed perspectives and changing directions (also known as repentance). But ultimately, that change of direction requires righting the wrongs perpetrated” (Morrison, 2019, p.153).

“The aim of reconciliation...is the restoration of relationship. And I don’t just mean individual relationships; I also mean healing of communal relationships and societal connections fractured by government abuses, systems of oppression, and systems of structural privilege” (Morrison, 2019, p.177).

“If this book serves to highlight just one truth, I hope it’s that real beauty can come from the ashes of our country’s history with racism. So we continue to spread the message” (Morrison, 2019, p.202).


With powerful personal narrative, historical accounts meet present realities as Latasha Morrison lays a foundation of humility before taking readers on a journey through the work of racial reconciliation. Awareness, acknowledgement, lament, shame, guilt, confession, forgiveness, repentance, reparations, reconciliation, restoration, and reproduction of bridge builders are all graciously and extensively explicated. Latasha Morrison keeps the vision of God at the forefront as she invites all people into the work of pursuing God’s heart for racial reconciliation. Be the Bridge was just released October 15th, and I highly recommend this essential book. Thank you, Latasha Morrison, for communicating truth in love. The Body of Christ is blessed by you.



#currentread #bethebridge #bookrecommendation #bookrec #latashamorrison #reading #learning #racialhealing #equality #reconciliation #socialjustice #lament #repent #repair #iamabridgebuilder #partner #bethebridgebook #beabridgebuilder #wocauthors #pocauthors #supportblackauthors #supportblackwomen #conversationsaboutrace #book #newbook #launchteam #booklaunch #broadeningthenarrative 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pappas" Episode of BtN

A *bonus episode* of the Broadening the Narrative podcast is out now. You can listen to the episode "Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pa...