Thursday, June 18, 2020

Additional Rec. - June 18, 2020


“This love for me as a person, however is not the same as love, appreciation, or care for me as a woman. In fact I've often felt through my lifetime in the church that I'm loved in spite of my gender.”

“I recently heard both Lisa Sharon Harper and Rob Bell reference the concept that the Bible was written by and for marginalized communities. This means the context of all our biblical literature is set on the stage of deep trauma.”

“I’m listening to women - a whole lot of different women. I’m listening to their stories and experiences in faith and spirituality. I’m listening to their interpretations of scripture. I’m reading their books and buying their art. I’m following them on social media. I’m seeking out groups of people who also believe that women are a priority to God, and soaking it in. I’m building community with the goal of it being a healing and encouraging space for women.”

“The fruit of suppressing women in faith is rotten. The fruit of women co-leading is healing.”

"It's not just women who miss out. Let's remember, Deborah didn't just prophecy to women. See, I don't just think that Christians should care about (or even celebrate?) women because it benefits me and other women like me.  IT ALSO BENEFITS MEN.”

“Maybe we can chart a course towards full inclusion and whole welcome. Maybe someday we'll be able to say folks know we are Christians because of our love and celebration of women.”


Megan Wooding’s words resonated with me because of my experiences with white evangelicalism. I thought of the Almost Heretical podcast “Getting Free” episode with Dr. Christena Cleveland. In it, Dr. Cleveland described white patriarchal god as the god of the gaslight. This is what came to my mind when I read this sentence Megan wrote: “Patriarchal Christianity magnanimously offers women a seat on the sidelines of our own religion and teaches us to blame ourselves when it doesn’t feel like enough.” I highly recommend reading this blog post in its entirety.




#additionalrecommendation #recommendation #godcaresaboutwomen #christiansshouldtoo #meganwooding #church #churchtoo #sisterhood #exvangelical #eshetchayil #dismantlepatriarchy #smashthepatriarchy #inallinstitutions #deconstruction #evolvingfaith #faithreconstruction #humanity #empathy #equality #reflection #action #lovegod #loveyourneighbor #love #learning #antisexism #antisexist #whitefeminismisnotfeminism #challengethenarrative #broadeningthenarrative

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pappas" Episode of BtN

A *bonus episode* of the Broadening the Narrative podcast is out now. You can listen to the episode "Self-Publishing Tips with Nicki Pa...